Monday, June 18, 2012

. . . .and Children of All Ages

It didn't take long for the crowds to assemble on Lots G-H when the US Navy ships opened for tours.  This picture was taken around 1:00 pm on Thursday, June 14.  The shuttle service to South Locust Point had just begun and the turnout was huge!!  (Big surprise -- several buses carrying tourists dropped their passengers before the shuttle even started.)

Fortunately, the Navy was prepared to entertain families while they waited.

Underneath I-395 were two odd-looking boats available for touring.  Painted in camoflauge and fitted with powerful engines, they were obviously used for close combat and shoreline targets.

I suppose I dated myself by asking if they were Swift Boats, but actually I wasn't too far off.

These vessels are part of the Coastal Riverine Force, which provides protection of waterways around maritime facilities, ports, and harbors in hostile territory.  This particular boat's most recent itinerary included Iraq.  (Not my idea of a pleasure cruise.)

These two boys couldn't be more curious or thrilled at the opportunity to look into the powerful scope and learn how it operated.  I couldn't help but get nostalgic thinking how much mine would have loved this experience when they were that age.

But after sharing the picture with my 25-year old, I got a surprise.

I guess you're never too old to get behind a really cool piece of equipment and see how it works.   And yes, he enjoyed it every bit as much as the youngsters did.

We haven't been told how many people descended upon Baltimore for the various Sailabration activities.  What we do know is that the stadium lots were at capacity for much of the weekend as folks parked here to shuttle to downtown, Fort McHenry, or South Locust Point.

We also know that we were able to contribute to the hands-on experience that delighted children of all ages by hosting the US Navy Coastal Riverine Force here on the complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment